The Richmond Audubon Society is requesting proposals for the Lewis Barnett Award, given to
individuals and organizations that support “activities that will further education, research, and
conservation of birds and their environment.” This award honors the life and memory of Dr. B.
Lewis Barnett, III for his long-time service to the society and interest in birds. Awards generally
are made to individuals associated with organizations or educational institutions to conduct
research, education, or conservation efforts that increase our understanding of, or have a direct
benefit to, birds and their habitat. One or more awards may be given. Each award typically will
not exceed $1,000; however, awards for a greater amount will be considered for special cases.
Proposals should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February
28, 2023. The Society’s Board of Directors will evaluate the merits of the proposals and
announce awardees no later than the end of March. It is expected that the funds will be used
over a one-year period. Applicants are asked to submit proposals that include the following
1. Name, affiliated institution or organization, personal background, and applicant contact information.
2. A narrative no longer than three pages describing the proposed work and how it will lead to a
better understanding or conservation of birds and/or their environment.
3. Desired funding, a detailed budget for the requested funds, and a timeline for the use of the funds.
4. If the applicant is a student, then a statement of support is required from the applicant’s
mentor for this project.
5. Awardees may be asked to present their findings at a meeting of the Richmond Audubon
Donations in Lewis’s name, which will go toward funding the Barnett Award, can be made on our donation page.
Richmond Audubon Society intends to award the Lewis Barnett Award each spring. Contact us for details on how to submit a proposal for the Award.
Dr. B. Lewis Barnett, III
RICHMOND AUDUBON SOCIETY
PO Box 26648, Richmond, VA 23261
Copyright © 2022 Richmond Audubon Society - All Rights Reserved.
RAS is a 501c3 organization: EIN 54-1618162